Support independent journalism in Central & Eastern Europe.
Donate to TOL!
Increasing media literacy and information verification skills among senior citizens in the Visegrad countries. Donor: National Endowment Fund
Overall Objective: The goal of this project is to empower senior citizens in the Visegrad countries to take an active role in society by teaching them media literacy skills so they are able to assess media critically and to strengthen intergenerational links.
Partners: Center for Independent Journalism (Hungary), Memo 98 (Slovakia), and Outriders (Poland)
● Kickoff meeting in Prague: Representatives from the V4 countries will discuss existing methodologies from the Czech Republic and create activity plans
● Research-based assessments of media literacy levels among seniors (coordinating with local young researchers to carry out interviews and observations)
● Creation of region specific methodologies as well as online and print resources explaining information verification, tailored for senior citizens
Here is an example: http://elpida.cz/files/2018-09/180925120447.pdf
● Trainings and workshops for instructors (mostly young journalists and students in the hopes of bridging the generational disinformation divide)
● Holding pilot workshops in all 4 countries and establishing core, local groups of interested seniors
● Wrap up event: final meeting between representatives to assess project successes and brainstorm new activities