- 23 May 2017
- Time of the Poisoners
- A thorough account of the killings of Ukrainian nationalists by the KGB brings up parallels between the Russia of the 1950s and today.
- By Taras Kuzio
- 19 April 2017
- Tajik Book Ban Seen as Targeting Radical Literature
On a related note, will mandatory attendance at the theater improve the Tajik police’s poor human rights record?
- 7 February 2017
- Can Russia Be Remade From Below?
Douglas Rogers' book on the role of oil as a source for state-building in the Perm region suggests more diverse trajectories for Russian political development than commonly assumed.
- By Andre Haertel
- 14 December 2016
- Two Stories From a Cosmopolitan Caucasus
Post-colonial theory has reshaped the ways we read world literatures, but has yet to make its mark on a richly diverse part of Eurasia.
- By Rebecca Gould
- 22 November 2016
- The Traumatic Birth of a Crimean Nation
- How tradition, ethnic cleansing, and a difficult return home helped mold one people’s identity under the Soviet Union and after.
- By Lincoln Mitchell
- 23 September 2016
- Kosovo’s Booby-Trapped Field of Dreams
Serbian scholar Ivan Colovic’s new book is a powerful study of the struggle for mythmaking rights to a signal event in Balkan history.
- By Uffe Andersen
- 19 September 2016
- Proxy War for the Soul of Kazakhstan
- Once a high roller on the political scene, now a wanted man, a former Almaty mayor makes his case for heroic status alongside the country’s founding father.
- By Robert A. Saunders
- 7 September 2016
- From Lads to Lords
In post-Soviet Russia, many a future tycoon learned the merits of teamwork, discipline, and respect for authority on the mean streets.
- By Maxim Edwards
- 6 September 2016
- Beauty and the East
- Is it time to kick our addiction to ruin porn? From The Calvert Journal.
- By Jamie Rann
- 1 September 2016
- Two-Speed Memory and Ownership of the Past
- The sensation generated by a recent book may signal a new readiness by Lithuanians to tackle difficult questions about the Nazi and Soviet eras.
- By Violeta Davoliute
© Transitions Online 2018. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.