- 5 April 2013
- Georgia’s Free, Albeit Non-Existent, Preschools
A move intended to make preschool available to all could have the opposite effect.
- By Tamar Kikacheishvili
- 3 April 2013
- Filling in Georgia's Blanks
Two new books make notable additions to the small shelf of works in English on the intricate history of Georgia.
- By Lincoln A. Mitchell
- 28 March 2013
- Russian Diplomats Called on Carpet, Uzbek Leader Surfaces
- Plus, Latvian ‘non-citizens’ call an election and two Bosnian Serbs get 22 years for ethnic ‘cleansing.’
- By Erik N. Nelson, Joshua Boissevain, and Connor Zickgraf
- 21 March 2013
- Brussels Issues Report Cards, Tajik Fugitive Vanishes
Plus, trapped Polish miners are rescued and Slovenia gets a new, young government.
- By Erik N. Nelson, Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, and Connor Zickgraf
- 18 March 2013
- Saakashvili’s Admission of Failure
- If, as the Georgian president says, big money from outside bought the elections, then what kind of democracy did he build?
- By Zaal Anjaparidze
- 12 March 2013
- Hungarian Lawmakers Vote to Weaken High Court, Bulgaria Admits Holocaust Role
Plus, Russia and the EU again talk of easing visa rules and Uzbek pundits see an Islamist threat to Central Asia.
- By Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, Richard Parrish, and Connor Zickgraf
- 12 March 2013
- Fifty Shades of Stalin
- Love him? Hate him? Throw paint on him?
- By D. Garrison Golubock and Barbara Frye
- 6 March 2013
- Out in the Street
TOL slide show: After getting thousands of disadvantaged kids out of Soviet-era institutions, Georgia faces an increasingly visible tribe of children living largely on the street.
- By Onnik Krikorian
- 5 March 2013
- Czech Senate Impeaches Klaus, EU Wary of Expanding Schengen Zone
Plus, North Caucasus republics face off over a border dispute and Latvia makes a bid for euro adoption.
- By Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, and Connor Zickgraf
- 28 February 2013
- Coke-Free Uzbekistan, All-Electric Estonia
Plus, crisis-battered Slovenia and Bulgaria try to pick up the political pieces and Saakashvili admits he flubbed an attack on Russian banks.
- By Nirvana Bhatia, Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, Richard Parrish, and Connor Zickgraf
© Transitions Online 2013. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.