- 13 October 2014
- Another Romp for Hungary’s Fidesz; Isolated Armenia Signs Free-Trade Treaty
Plus, nationalists lead in Bosnia’s elections and a Polish think tank warns about Ukraine’s winter energy supplies.
- By Timothy Spence and Jack Nicholson
- 22 August 2014
- Landslide Blocks Main Trans-Caucasus Road, CIS Boosts Food Exports to Russia
Plus, Armenia in offer to house refugee Yazidis and Lithuania signs a landmark gas deal.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Barbara Frye, and Anders Ryehauge
- 11 August 2014
- Ukrainian Troops Close in on Rebel Stronghold, Armenian Villager Dies in Azerbaijan Custody
Plus, Russia is suspected in a Ukraine cyber attack and a Romanian media mogul is headed to prison.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Anders Ryehauge
- 5 August 2014
- Rebels Attack ‘Unarmed’ Ukrainian Troops, Death Toll Rises in Karabakh Fighting
Plus, sanctions hit Russian interests in Central Europe and Bulgaria, and Uzbekistan denies base talks with U.S. general.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, and Jeremy Druker
- 29 July 2014
- Yatsenyuk Calls for ‘War Tax,’ Russia Puts Bite on McDonald’s
Plus, Central Asian neighbors seek to cool Ferghana Valley dispute and an Armenia court delivers a potentially devastating press freedom ruling.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 24 July 2014
- Russia Shrugs off Sanctions, Czech Government Falters Over Gas Tax
Plus, tensions rise still further in Nagorno-Karabakh and bad weather traps hundreds of climbers in Kyrgyzstan.
- By Piers Lawson, Ioana Caloianu, Mane Grigoryan and Madeleine Stern
- 16 July 2014
- Death Toll at 23 in Moscow Metro Disaster, Serbian Unions Plan General Strike
Plus, Armenians claim capture of Azerbaijani ‘commandos,’ and Romania rejiggers its tax structure to boost the economy.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 11 July 2014
- Torture, Abductions in Eastern Ukraine, Pilot Caught in Ukraine-Russia Standoff
Plus, no early release for a Serbian war crimes defendant, and a meningitis outbreak in Armenia?
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Madeleine Stern
- 9 July 2014
- Russian Energy Titans Battle, Ukrainian Asylum Seekers on the Rise
Plus, Tajikistan rounds up hundreds of sex workers and Armenia drives a hard bargain in Eurasian Economic Union entry talks.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, and Madeleine Stern
- 27 June 2014
- EU Opens Door to Three Eastern Neighbors, Russia Tightens Migration Rules
Plus, a movie about the Chechen deportations raises questions in Moscow, and former Soviet strongmen reflect on the long career of Uzbekistani leader Karimov.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Jeremy Druker, Mane Grigoryan, and Madeleine Stern
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.