- 1 February 2016
- Four Dead in Slovenian Massive Pile-Up
At least four people died and more than 50 are injured in Slovenia after thick fog causes several collisions on the highway.
- 19 January 2016
- Slovenia May Deploy Troops to Manage Migrant Flow
Schengen agreement is ‘temporarily suspended,’ says Austrian chancellor as military announces troops will be deployed to the borders.
- 21 December 2015
- Slovenia Says ‘No” to Gay Marriage
Among the more liberal ex-communist nations, Slovenia remains divided over gay rights remains.
- 4 December 2015
- Croatian Depositors in Slovenian Bank Finally Get Paid
Savers who lost money after Slovenia exited Yugoslavia nearly 25 years ago can now apply to get it back.
- 28 October 2015
- Austria Plans Border Fence
Slovenia, Croatia may also erect barriers as migrant backlog grows increasingly burdensome.
- 26 October 2015
- Balkan States Agree EU Migrant Plan, With Reservations
- Leaders of Bulgaria and neighbors say they will not allow their countries to become buffer zones for stranded asylum seekers.
- 20 October 2015
- Migrants Set Sights on Slovenia
- Relations between former Yugoslav countries are being tested by the migrant crisis.
- 6 August 2015
- Ukraine Warns of ‘Last Chance’ for Debt Compromise, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan Send Troops to Border
- Plus, three accused in brutal attack on Croatian investigative journalist and France and Russia scupper the Mistral warship deal.
- By Brian Kenety, Ioana Caloianu, Thomas Chan Tsz Chun, and Evgeny Deulin
- 30 June 2015
- Not Exactly Friends of Greece
After a sometimes-traumatic transition, then austerity, post-communist countries especially have lost patience with Athens.
- By Martin Ehl
- 19 June 2015
- Kyrgyz Friend of Boston Bomber Jailed, Pope’s Climate Change Talk Angers Poles
Plus, Belarus blocks access to a lifestyle website, and fears grow about press freedom in Croatia after journalist’s dismissal.
- By Clare Speak, Ioana Caloianu, Evgeny Deulin, and Casper Frederiksen
© Transitions Online 2016. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.