- 30 September 2014
- Nine Ex-Ministers Charged in Romanian Graft Probe, Jailed Azerbaijani Activist Honored
Plus, Balkan states target absurdly high roaming charges, and Russia moves forward on a giant Crimea bridge project.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Anders Ryehauge, and Klein Aleardi
- 23 September 2014
- Industry Group Probes Azerbaijani Crackdown, Romania’s Premier Survives Parliament Vote
Plus, thugs keep a Crimean Tatar scholar from a UN conference and winter gas supplies become the subject of talks.
- By Timothy Spence
- 1 September 2014
- Donald Tusk Tapped to Head EU Leaders’ Council, Confusion Over Putin’s Use of the S-word
Plus, Croatia warns ex-Yugoslav neighbors to cooperate on wartime disappeared and Skopje’s retro makeover rolls on, whatever the cost.
- By Piers Lawson, Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu and Anders Ryehauge
- 11 August 2014
- Ukrainian Troops Close in on Rebel Stronghold, Armenian Villager Dies in Azerbaijan Custody
Plus, Russia is suspected in a Ukraine cyber attack and a Romanian media mogul is headed to prison.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Anders Ryehauge
- 16 July 2014
- Death Toll at 23 in Moscow Metro Disaster, Serbian Unions Plan General Strike
Plus, Armenians claim capture of Azerbaijani ‘commandos,’ and Romania rejiggers its tax structure to boost the economy.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 23 June 2014
- More Taped Talks Rock Polish Politics, Bosnia’s Ills Complicate Flood Aid
Also, Hungarian banks face a billion-euro loss on foreign-currency loans and Romania’s first brother is jailed for alleged criminal ties.
- By Barbara Frye, Mane Grigoryan, Rebecca Johnson, and Madeleine Stern
- 27 May 2014
- Klitschko Calls Time on Maidan, Unrest Hits Tajikistan’s Badakhshan Region
Plus, Krakow out, Lviv still in the running to host 2022 Winter Olympics, and can anything stop rampant illegal logging in the Balkans?
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Marketa Horazna, and Rebecca Johnson
- 26 May 2014
- Jaruzelski’s Legacy Debated, Little Drama in Eastern EU Elections
Plus, now Balkan flood victims must worry about disease, and Lithuania’s iron-lady president sets a precedent.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Jeremey Druker, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Piers Lawson
- 20 May 2014
- Putin Orders Border Troop Withdrawal, Again; Mladic Defense Begins
Plus, bison come back to Romania’s mountains and NATO settles in in Uzbekistan.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Rebecca Johnson
- 9 May 2014
- Unrest on Kyrgyz-Tajik Border, No Gas in Southern Kyrgyzstan
Plus, Washington sanctions Russia over Syria, and is Romania the EU’s Silicon Valley?
- By S. Adam Cardais, Jeremy Druker, and Barbara Frye
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.