- 7 April 2014
- Hungary’s Fidesz Gets a Landslide, Separatists Seize Buildings in Eastern Ukraine
Plus, Russia and Kyiv spar over a gas price hike and NATO will likely shore up forces in Poland.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, Annabel Lau, Piers Lawson, and Erin Murphy
- 3 April 2014
- Ukraine Detains Ex-Riot Police in Protest Shootings, Russia Nullifies Kyiv’s Gas Discount
Also, eastern EU states still have the most dangerous roads, and export obstacles are keeping fish in Estonia.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, Marketa Horazna, Annabel Lau, and Erin Murphy
- 20 March 2014
- Ukrainian Military Withdraws From Crimea, Svoboda Members Rough Up TV Boss
Plus, Romania pushes for a Moldova EU membership date and Georgia’s former prime minister tells off the man he groomed for the presidency.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Sarah Fluck, and Karlo Marinovic
- 13 March 2014
- Former Croatian PM Guilty of Corruption, Trafficking Up in Tajikistan
Plus, accusations that some highway funds have gone missing in Macedonia and Romania will try to bar entry for Jobbik’s leader.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, Marketa Horazna, Annabel Lau, and Karlo Marinovic
- 7 March 2014
- Pity the Poor Teacher
Yardsticks vary, but however you measure it, teachers are underpaid across the post-communist world, with grave implications for the quality of education.
- By Karlo Marinovic
- 6 March 2014
- Russia, Ukraine Skirmish in Cyber Space, Czechs Score Huge Heroin Bust
Plus, Kosovo to get its own army and a human rights report provokes an anti-gay backlash in Kyrgyzstan.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Sarah Fluck
- 26 February 2014
- Romanian Liberals Join the Opposition, Lithuania Mulls Gazprom Price Cut
Plus, an editor is fined for insulting intellectuals and Croatia eyes its picturesque coast as a site for drilling rigs.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, Ky Krauthamer, Karlo Marinovic, and Lily Sieradzki
- 13 February 2014
- Judge in Ukrainian Protest Case Killed, Ex-Labor Camp Commander Faces Charges in Romania
Plus, a Sochi Olympic eco-activist to serve three years for painting a fence, and Kyrgyzstan investigates alleged threats from a Uighur separatist group.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Karlo Marinovic, Sarah Fluck, and Aliona Kachkan
- 11 February 2014
- Arrests, Trials for Media in Kazakhstan, An Opaque Russia-Hungary Nuke Deal
Plus, Romania’s president is fined for an anti-Roma slur, and Sochi gets more black eyes in the press.
- By Piers Lawson, Sarah Fluck, Aliona Kachkan and Karlo Marinovic
- 23 January 2014
- Yanukovych Opponents Ramp Up Rhetoric, Kazakhstani Police Appeal Torture Verdict
Plus, Romania arrests a suspected celebrity hacker and Tajikistan imposes a dress code on imams.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Aliona Kachkan, and Aleksandra Zivkovic
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.