- 16 July 2014
- Death Toll at 23 in Moscow Metro Disaster, Serbian Unions Plan General Strike
Plus, Armenians claim capture of Azerbaijani ‘commandos,’ and Romania rejiggers its tax structure to boost the economy.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 23 June 2014
- More Taped Talks Rock Polish Politics, Bosnia’s Ills Complicate Flood Aid
Also, Hungarian banks face a billion-euro loss on foreign-currency loans and Romania’s first brother is jailed for alleged criminal ties.
- By Barbara Frye, Mane Grigoryan, Rebecca Johnson, and Madeleine Stern
- 27 May 2014
- Klitschko Calls Time on Maidan, Unrest Hits Tajikistan’s Badakhshan Region
Plus, Krakow out, Lviv still in the running to host 2022 Winter Olympics, and can anything stop rampant illegal logging in the Balkans?
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Marketa Horazna, and Rebecca Johnson
- 26 May 2014
- Jaruzelski’s Legacy Debated, Little Drama in Eastern EU Elections
Plus, now Balkan flood victims must worry about disease, and Lithuania’s iron-lady president sets a precedent.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Jeremey Druker, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Piers Lawson
- 20 May 2014
- Putin Orders Border Troop Withdrawal, Again; Mladic Defense Begins
Plus, bison come back to Romania’s mountains and NATO settles in in Uzbekistan.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Rebecca Johnson
- 9 May 2014
- Unrest on Kyrgyz-Tajik Border, No Gas in Southern Kyrgyzstan
Plus, Washington sanctions Russia over Syria, and is Romania the EU’s Silicon Valley?
- By S. Adam Cardais, Jeremy Druker, and Barbara Frye
- 7 April 2014
- Hungary’s Fidesz Gets a Landslide, Separatists Seize Buildings in Eastern Ukraine
Plus, Russia and Kyiv spar over a gas price hike and NATO will likely shore up forces in Poland.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, Annabel Lau, Piers Lawson, and Erin Murphy
- 3 April 2014
- Ukraine Detains Ex-Riot Police in Protest Shootings, Russia Nullifies Kyiv’s Gas Discount
Also, eastern EU states still have the most dangerous roads, and export obstacles are keeping fish in Estonia.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, Marketa Horazna, Annabel Lau, and Erin Murphy
- 20 March 2014
- Ukrainian Military Withdraws From Crimea, Svoboda Members Rough Up TV Boss
Plus, Romania pushes for a Moldova EU membership date and Georgia’s former prime minister tells off the man he groomed for the presidency.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Sarah Fluck, and Karlo Marinovic
- 13 March 2014
- Former Croatian PM Guilty of Corruption, Trafficking Up in Tajikistan
Plus, accusations that some highway funds have gone missing in Macedonia and Romania will try to bar entry for Jobbik’s leader.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, Marketa Horazna, Annabel Lau, and Karlo Marinovic
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.