- 6 December 2013
- Brussels Raises Stakes in Gas Pipeline Game, Combative Kyrgyz Mayor Sacked
Plus, tension rises in Ukraine’s capital as protests continue into a third week and Russia launches an investigation into online child trafficking.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Karlo Marinovic, and Alexander Silady
- 2 December 2013
- Barricades and Violence in Kyiv, a Gay Marriage Ban in Croatia
Plus, a Bosnian court hands down tough sentences in a big organized crime case and Bulgaria builds a small wall to tackle a big problem.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Jeremy Druker, and Karlo Marinovic
- 29 November 2013
- EU Brass Aim Barbs at Kremlin, Romania Eyes Reins on Political NGOs
Plus, a long-jailed Uzbekistani editor wins a press freedom prize and Russia dismisses a Pussy Riot member’s prison complaint.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Karlo Marinovic, and Alexander Silady
- 22 November 2013
- The Eastern Partnership Summit: A Cheat Sheet
For those playing along at home, a rundown of who will be there and what’s at stake.
- By Alexander Silady, Martha Tesema, and Barbara Frye
- 18 November 2013
- Fifty Killed as Airliner Crashes in Kazan, EU Eyes Easing Visa Rules for Moldovans
Plus, calm prevails in northern Kosovo’s revote and Russia’s Navalny is tapped to lead a new party.
- By Barbara Frye and Karlo Marinovic
- 7 November 2013
- Rahmon Takes New Term, Serbia Indicts Army Officers in Kosovo Killings
Plus, Gulnara Karimova tweets about torture, and Armenia and the EU go separate ways.
- By by Erik N. Nelson, Ioana Caloianu, Karlo Marinovic, and Alexander Silady
- 22 October 2013
- Volgograd Bomber Was Dagestani Woman, Outcry Over Jailing of Macedonian Journalist
Plus, Tito’s widow will rest alongside her husband, and Holland takes Russia to the international sea tribunal over the Greenpeace affair.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, and Alexander Silady
- 9 October 2013
- Getting Moldova’s Good Side
Or, trying to sell the West on the sort-of-boot-shaped country between Ukraine and Romania.
- By Mark Baker
- 4 October 2013
- Gagauzia Sings the Union Blues
A small Moldovan region has the potential to complicate the country’s planned swing toward Europe.
- By Natalia Ghilascu
- 26 September 2013
- Russians Use Gunboat Diplomacy in Syria, EU May Unleash Moldovan Wine
Plus, Latvia’s residency market irks Europeans and Medvedev wants to make divorce expensive.
- By Erik N. Nelson, Ioana Caloianu, Alexander Silady, and Martha Tesema
© Transitions Online 2013. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.