- 1 July 2014
- Ukraine Slides Back Into Violence, Six Convicted in Skopje Mass Murder
Plus, Croatia and Macedonia take opposite tacks on same-sex marriage and a controversial art show opens in St. Petersburg to mixed reviews.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Mane Grigoryan, and Madeleine Stern
- 26 June 2014
- Central Asians Lured to Fight in Ukraine, Bulgaria Copes with Floods Aftermath
Plus, Croatia is the new Greece and police in Dagestan kill a suspected militant.
- By By Piers Lawson, Barbara Frye, Mane Grigoryan, and Madeleine Stern
- 18 June 2014
- Washington Slashes Central Asian Security Aid, Croatia Widens Oil and Gas Search
Plus, Georgians rally against harsh drug laws and a new report details the long hours and low pay of garment workers in the region.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Mane Grigoryan, Rebecca Johnson, and Madeleine Stern
- 16 June 2014
- Russia Shuts off Ukraine’s Gas, Planes Vanish from Central European Radar
Plus, a crucial gold mine in Kyrygzstan averts a shutdown and Croatia loses a war-crimes judgment.
- By Piers Lawson, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Madeleine Stern
- 12 June 2014
- The Noose Tightens for Democracy in Eurasia, Bulgaria’s Leader Poised to Resign
Plus, Croatia will try a Hungarian energy exec in absentia and a major Macedonian university launches studies in family values and ‘deviance.’
- By Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Madeleine Stern
- 16 May 2014
- Hungarian Pol Denies Spying for Russia, Floods Ravage the Balkans
Plus, an atheist in Kazakhstan talks about his prosecution for ‘inciting hatred’ and Georgia’s jonjoli pickers are freed.
- By Piers Lawson, Ioana Caloianu, Jeremey Druker, and Barbara Frye
- 14 May 2014
- Ukraine Set for Visa-Free EU Travel, Albania Busts Trafficking Ring
Plus, Poland may speed up deployment of missile defense system, and Zagreb’s feud with Hungarian energy giant MOL deepens.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, Ky Krauthamer, and Lily Sieradzki
- 8 May 2014
- Minsk Silences Activists on Eve of World Hockey Tourney, Ukrainian Cities Look to Curb Energy Waste
Plus, Albania seeks exploration bids from big oil players, and a questionable land deal fells Croatia’s finance minister.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Marketa Horazna, and Lily Sieradzki
- 6 May 2014
- Putin Honors ‘Objective’ Crimea Coverage, Croatian Foe of Cyrillic Sentenced
Plus, wildfires run rampant in Siberia, and a rare trade dispute hits Russia’s Customs Union.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, and Marketa Horazna
- 18 April 2014
- Controversial Rights Bill Passes First Hurdle in Georgia, Kyiv Eyes Judicial Purge
Plus, northern Kosovo's Serbs tell the EU to get lost, and Uzbekistan turns kindergarten teachers into farm managers.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Erin Murphy
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.