- 15 January 2016
- Montenegro Concentration Camp Island to Become Luxury Resort
- Developer promises luxury with a ‘party atmosphere’ at repurposed fortress where Italy imprisoned thousands during World War II.
- 17 December 2015
- Russia Says Montenegro Should Call NATO Referendum
Opposition to NATO was one factor behind violent anti-government demonstrations in recent weeks.
- 2 December 2015
- Kremlin Denounces NATO Invitation to Montenegro
- Ex-Yugoslav country accomplishes long-held goal, but not all are happy about it.
- 17 November 2015
- Freedom from Expression
Balkan EU hopefuls failing to ensure freedom of expression, the European Commission says.
- By Tihomir Loza
- 28 October 2015
- Kremlin Perplexed by Montenegrin Leader’s ‘Strange’ Statements
- Russia is trying to derail his country’s NATO aspirations, Milo Djukanovic says.
- 19 October 2015
- Montenegro Under Fire Over Protests
- OSCE urges investigation into arrest of two journalists covering demonstrations, calls for calm.
- 30 September 2015
- German Gov’t Wants Balkan States Declared 'Safe Countries'
Some 40 percent of asylum applications to Germany this year are from Western Balkans.
- 30 July 2015
- Russia Blocks MH17 Tribunal, Activists Call for Turkmenistani Journalist's Release
Plus, an official in Russia's North Caucasus faces murder charges and a jailed Azerbaijani reporter gets a prestigious prize in Washington.
- By Brian Kenety, Ioana Caloianu, Thomas Chan Tsz Chun, and Evgeny Deulin
- 17 June 2015
- No Breakthrough in Ukraine Peace Talks, Tbilisi Counts Toll of Weekend Flood
Plus, conflicting views of the Srebrenica massacre divide Belgrade and Sarajevo, and the Chinese yuan exerts an ever-stronger pull on Russian business.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Evgeny Deulin, and Casper Frederiksen
- 12 June 2015
- Resignations Pile Up in Polish Government, Russian Reporter Faces Threat
Plus, sickly oil economies drag down the region and Czech protesters try to stop mining expansion.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Evgeny Deulin, and Casper Frederiksen
© Transitions Online 2016. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.