- 28 January 2015
- U.S. Gives Military Hardware to Uzbekistan, New Outbreak of Violence in Pristina
Plus, the murder trial of a fugitive Kazakhstani tycoon is postponed, and Belarus rediscovers its own language.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Anders Ryehauge, and Will Sandeman
- 16 January 2015
- Shameful Economic Secrets Exposed!
Conflict and sanctions reveal the squishy underbelly of the region’s economies.
- By Barbara Frye
- 15 October 2014
- Serbia-Albania Soccer Game Ends in Chaos, Russia and Abkhazia Mull Closer Ties
Plus, Washington offers to mediate row between Croatia and Hungary’s biggest energy company, and refugees at a notorious camp in Montenegro scuffle over access to housing and aid.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Jack Nicholson, and Anders Ryehauge
- 10 October 2014
- Kazakhstan Inks EU Pact, Moscow Slams U.S. Sentencing of Russian Citizen
Plus, witnesses change their stories in a Kosovo war crimes case and major changes greet returning students in eastern Ukraine.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Jack Nicholson, and Anders Ryehauge
- 4 September 2014
- Businesses in Central, Eastern Europe Hit by Ukraine Conflict, Montenegro Reports Surge in Human Smuggling
Plus, the EU takes a wait-and-see approach to the Putin-Poroshenko peace framework, and Crimea’s political leader says gays are not wanted.
- By Timothy Spence and TOL staff
- 1 September 2014
- Donald Tusk Tapped to Head EU Leaders’ Council, Confusion Over Putin’s Use of the S-word
Plus, Croatia warns ex-Yugoslav neighbors to cooperate on wartime disappeared and Skopje’s retro makeover rolls on, whatever the cost.
- By Piers Lawson, Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu and Anders Ryehauge
- 29 August 2014
- FBI Probes Russia-Based Bank Hack, Balkan Leaders Seek Investment in Berlin
Plus, Turkmenistan inks a major gas deal, and rights advocates are alarmed over the plight of an imprisoned Uzbekistani film producer.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Anders Ryehauge
- 6 August 2014
- Russia Sends More Troops to Ukraine Border, Suspends Georgian Trade Agreement
Plus, Serbia’s finance minister warns the economy will sink without IMF loans and Montenegro looks to cruisers and the super-rich to rescue its tourism season.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, and Jeremy Druker
- 21 July 2014
- Dutch Investigators in Ukraine for Crash Probe, Russia Shuts Out Moldovan Fruit
Plus, Czech gangsters get life in a kidnap/murder plot and a Montenegrin mayor gets five years for corruption.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Mane Grigoryan, and Madeleine Stern
- 18 July 2014
- Blame, Investigations Begin in Airliner Crash, Slovenia Loses 20-Year Bank Dispute
Plus, Hungary tries to get its fiscal house in order and Montenegro arrests journalist's alleged attackers.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
© Transitions Online 2015. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.