- 14 February 2014
- Russia Restricts Foreign Adoptions, Russian Neighbors Mull Devaluations
Plus, Poland fires its roads czar amid a row over EU contracts and Moldovans reach for the holy grail of visa-free European travel.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Karlo Marinovic, Sarah Fluck, and Aliona Kachkan
- 6 February 2014
- Teething Pains in Sochi, A Costly Mining Dispute in Kyrgyzstan
Plus, foreign investors lose their taste for Mongolia and Brussels loses patience with Kyiv.
- By Piers Lawson, Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, and Aliona Kachkan
- 4 February 2014
- Stark Warnings in EU Corruption Survey, Bulgarian President Backs Compulsory Voting
Plus, a controversial Russian lawmaker stands up to the ‘fascist’ threat to Kosovo Serbs, and a sci-fi thriller begins shooting in Minsk under official auspices.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, Aliona Kachkan, and Ky Krauthamer
- 3 February 2014
- Pro-Ukraine Protesters in Jail in Uzbekistan, Russia Kills Dogs Ahead of Olympics
Plus, a Moldovan region opens the door to secession and a Kosovo Serb held on war-crimes charges will run for office.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, and Aliona Kachkan
- 29 January 2014
- Lithuanian Pork Banned in Swine Fever Worries, Russia Warns Against Bitcoins
Plus, a Russian billionaire unloads his assets to concentrate on politics, and Mongolian eco-activists face 21 years in prison.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Karlo Marinovic, and Aliona Kachkan
- 20 January 2014
- Journalists Possibly Targeted in Kyiv, No More Free Gas in Turkmenistan
Plus, Lukashenka calls for a building cap in Minsk and Serbia kicks off EU entry talks.
- By Piers Lawson, Ioana Caloianu, Karlo Marinovic, and Aliona Kachkan
- 14 January 2014
- U.S. Journalist Barred from Russia, Troops Clash on Kyrgyz-Tajik Border
Plus, a high-profile defection weakens Bulgaria’s ruling Socialists and a Minsk musical celebrates Hugo Chavez.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, and Karlo Marinovic
- 20 December 2013
- Best of TOL for 2013
- Our favorite stories of the year.
- By TOL
- 5 December 2013
- Romanian Shale-Gas Protesters Roughed up, Unrest in Ukraine Spooks Investors
Also, a Lithuanian court sides with a journalist on sources and Russia’s new space center is cited for building violations.
- By Erik N. Nelson, Ioana Caloianu, Karlo Marinovic, Alexander Silady, and Martha Tesema
- 3 December 2013
- Ukrainian Government Survives No-Confidence Vote, Gazprom Loses LNG Monopoly
Plus, Lukashenka demands fast growth with low inflation, and a verdict is reached in the Bolshoi acid-throwing case.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, and Alexander Silady
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.