- 17 April 2014
- Ukraine’s Oligarchs’ Loyalty Questioned, Russian TV Makes Inroads in Kyrgyzstan
Plus, Czechs greet their 10th anniversary in the EU with skepticism and supporters of political rivals brawl in Macedonia.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Jeremy Druker, Marketa Horazna, Annabel Lau, and Piers Lawson
- 31 March 2014
- Ukraine’s Presidential Favorite Rejects Federalization; Would Russia Annex Finland?
Plus, a tycoon-philanthropist will be Slovakia’s next president and Kyrgyzstan adopts a harsh anti-gay law.
- By Piers Lawson, Ioana Caloianu, Annabel Lau, Karlo Marinovic, and Lily Sieradzki
- 25 March 2014
- Ukrainian Nationalist Killed in Shootout, Leading Russian Banker Raises Sanctions Fears
Plus, Saakashvili will not go home to face questioning in Zhvania case, and Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan look to resolve border clash.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, Marketa Horazna, Ky Krauthamer, and Karlo Marinovic
- 19 March 2014
- Crimean Tatars May be Evicted, Kyrgyzstan’s Government Crumbles
Plus, more reports of Chechen warlord Doku Umarov’s death and Azerbaijan sends two opposition leaders to prison for inciting unrest.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, Sarah Fluck, and Lily Sieradzki
- 12 March 2014
- The Crimean Crisis Sparks Fear in Kyrgyzstan
Some are second-guessing the decision to send the Americans packing from the Manas air base.
- By Askar Erkebaev
- 6 March 2014
- Russia, Ukraine Skirmish in Cyber Space, Czechs Score Huge Heroin Bust
Plus, Kosovo to get its own army and a human rights report provokes an anti-gay backlash in Kyrgyzstan.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Sarah Fluck
- 3 March 2014
- Crimea Incursion Triggers Diplomatic Flurry, Hungary Seeing Historic Exodus
Plus, a Montenegrin journalist gets a police guard and an air base in Kyrgyzstan sends off its last NATO refueling mission.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, Annabel Lau, and Lily Sieradzki
- 27 February 2014
- Threats to Ukraine’s New Order, Labor Protests in Croatia
Plus, Latvia and Lithuania are tipped to lead EU growth this year and Kyrgyzstan’s opposition wants a referendum on the Customs Union.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Sarah Fluck, and Karlo Marinovic
- 13 February 2014
- Judge in Ukrainian Protest Case Killed, Ex-Labor Camp Commander Faces Charges in Romania
Plus, a Sochi Olympic eco-activist to serve three years for painting a fence, and Kyrgyzstan investigates alleged threats from a Uighur separatist group.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Karlo Marinovic, Sarah Fluck, and Aliona Kachkan
- 11 February 2014
- Gay Hating: It’s Not Just a Russian Thing
A couple of recent reports remind us that it’s dangerous to be gay in a wide swath of the post-communist world.
- By Sarah Fluck
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.