- 23 May 2013
- Looking Past Bazaars and Bandits on Kyrgyzstan’s TV
A serial breaks new ground in Kyrgyzstan with its topical story lines, use of local talent, and political agenda
- By Dina Tokbaeva
- 22 May 2013
- Russia Gets Tough on Blasphemy and Rails at Lost Eurovision Votes
Plus, more politicians face corruption charges in Georgia and Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan hangs a “closed” sign at Manas airbase.
- By Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, and Vladimir Matan
- 20 May 2013
- Kazakhstan Shrugs Off Human Rights Concerns
Economics count for more than rights, and Western governments have little leverage anyway. From IWPR.
- By Gaziza Baituova
- 16 May 2013
- Young, Loud, and Turkmen
- Ashgabat’s few rock ’n’ rollers keep a low profile and face a limited future.
- By Dengiz Uralov
- 15 May 2013
- Hungary Bows to EU Austerity Demands, Tajikistan Debates Ban on Cousin Marriages
- Plus, more troubles for Kyrgyz gold mines and signs of a split in the Serbian church over Kosovo.
- By Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, Vladimir Matan, and Connor Zickgraf
© Transitions Online 2013. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.