Eastern Europe & Russia
- 23 November 2012
- Poland’s Political Divide May Be Headed to Tribunal, Uzbekistan’s Diabetics in Peril
Plus, witnesses in many Balkans war crimes trials remain unprotected and a historic mosque rises again in the Bosnian-Serb capital.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Joshua Boissevain
- 21 November 2012
- Croatia’s Sanader Guilty of Bribery, More Arrests in Russian Anti-Graft Drive
Plus, Tajikistan wants to wean students from Western influence and North Caucasus strongmen argue over the proper way to bury slain rebels.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Joshua Boissevain, and Andrew McIntyre
- 20 November 2012
- Romania Threatens EU Budget Veto, Russia May Deport Central Asian ‘Slaves’
Plus, Lithuania will finally have a government and Serbs consider next moves after the shock prison release of Croatian war hero Gotovina.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, and Nino Tsintsadze
- 19 November 2012
- U.S. Lawmakers Pass 'Magnitsky list' Bill, Moldova Rebuffs Moscow Over Breakaway Territory
Plus, Baku police break up an opposition rally, and suspected militants are killed in the North Caucasus.
- By S. Adam Cardais and Ioana Caloianu
- 19 November 2012
- When Does Free Education Have to be Paid for?
- Parents in Russia begin to speak out about constant 'voluntary' donations to their children's schools. From openDemocracy.
- By Oleg Pavlov
- 16 November 2012
- Kosovo War Crimes Suspects Arrested, Croatian Generals Exonerated
Plus, Bulgaria signs a major energy and pipeline deal with Russia and a Tajik rights group demands a probe of prison abuse.
- By S. Adam Cardais and Nino Tsintsadze
- 15 November 2012
- Central Asians Abducted in Russia, Macedonia Ends Criminal Libel
Plus, a Russian anti-drug crusader says authorities are out to get him, and Czech presidential candidates could be derailed by fraudulent signatures.
- By Jeremy Druker, Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, and Nino Tsintsadze
© Transitions Online 2015. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.