Eastern Europe & Russia
- 28 October 2013
- Saakashvili Critic to be Georgian President, Poland’s First Post-Communist Premier Dies
Plus, a dwindling number of marchers in Moscow demand the release of political prisoners, and Uzbekistan’s first daughter runs into legal trouble at home.
- By Barbara Frye and Alexander Silady
- 25 October 2013
- Klitschko to Seek Ukrainian Presidency, Pussy Riot Spotlights Russian Prison Conditions
- Plus, Kyrgyzstan's lawmakers reject a new Kumtor gold mine deal and the Black Sea lures energy firms.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Alexander Silady
- 24 October 2013
- Belarus Wants Ransom for Potash Exec, No More Pirate Talk for Arctic 30
Plus, Washington washes its hands of an air base in Kyrgyzstan, and a mullah in Tajikistan is charged in a fertility fraud.
- By Erik N. Nelson, Ioana Caloianu, Alexander Silady, and Martha Tesema
- 22 October 2013
- Volgograd Bomber Was Dagestani Woman, Outcry Over Jailing of Macedonian Journalist
Plus, Tito’s widow will rest alongside her husband, and Holland takes Russia to the international sea tribunal over the Greenpeace affair.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, and Alexander Silady
© Transitions Online 2016. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.