Eastern Europe & Russia
- 2 September 2011
- SOS from Lukashenka, Hungry in Hungary, Armenia’s Autumn Politics
Plus, leaks about Russia’s exclusive men’s club, Balkan talks, and what Islam Karimov didn’t say on Independence Day
- By Timothy Spence
- 1 September 2011
- Lithuanians in Love, Slackers in Serbia, BP in Hell
- TOL launches its daily digest of news and information.
- By Barbara Frye
- 31 August 2011
- In Ukraine, Enduring Nostalgia for the Soviet Republic
Two decades on, many who voted for independence would opt instead for the Soviet Union.
- By Sergiy Sydorenko
- 30 August 2011
- Worry Over Russian Proposal to Make Psychiatry a Law-Enforcement Tool – Again
A bill that would allow compulsory psychiatric treatment has human rights defenders drawing parallels with Soviet practices.
- By BBC Monitoring
- 29 August 2011
- Independent Azerbaijan, Under the Russian Boot
- Six years after independence, one analyst warned about the effects of Russian expansionism and Western inattention on Azerbaijan's democratic development.
- By Hikmet Hadjy-zadeh
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.