Eastern Europe & Russia
- 30 July 2014
- Atrocities Probe Points to Top Figures in Kosovo, Russia Sanctions Bite Major Energy Companies
Plus, Hungary’s leader embraces ‘illiberal democracy’ and Central Asian countries are again named religion bullies.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Piers Lawson, and Erin Murphy
- 29 July 2014
- Yatsenyuk Calls for ‘War Tax,’ Russia Puts Bite on McDonald’s
Plus, Central Asian neighbors seek to cool Ferghana Valley dispute and an Armenia court delivers a potentially devastating press freedom ruling.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 28 July 2014
- Russia Hit With Massive Yukos Judgment, Georgia Charges Saakashvili With Abusing Office
Plus, a Macedonian archeologist is jailed in smuggling case and a Bosnian leader decries flood donors’ mistrust.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 25 July 2014
- Ukrainian, Bulgarian Governments Fall
Plus, Europe’s top rights court slams Poland over CIA renditions and two more anti-Putin protesters receive long prison sentences.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Mane Grigoryan, and Madeleine Stern
- 24 July 2014
- Russia Shrugs off Sanctions, Czech Government Falters Over Gas Tax
Plus, tensions rise still further in Nagorno-Karabakh and bad weather traps hundreds of climbers in Kyrgyzstan.
- By Piers Lawson, Ioana Caloianu, Mane Grigoryan and Madeleine Stern
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.