Central Europe & Baltics
- 30 October 2009
- Germany Poised to Take the Lead on Russian Affairs
- Keen as Berlin is to do business with Moscow, Germany is far from naïve about Russia’s political peccadilloes.
- By TOL
- 29 October 2009
- Dead Soles
- In Partizanske, Slovakia, a mighty producer of shoes under socialism, the free-market transition remains a work in progress. A TOL special report.
- By Michael J. Jordan
- 28 October 2009
- Long Live the Technocrats!
- When elected leaders shrink from taking the hard decisions, a government of nerds is not such a bad thing.
- By Martin Ehl
- 26 October 2009
- Still Comrades After All These Years
- In some corners of the old Iron Curtain, it’s not just frustrated pensioners who still hum the “Internationale.” A TOL special report.
- By Anita Komuves
- 23 October 2009
- The More Things Change
- The fall of communism meant drastic changes in doctors’ relationships with patients, hospitals, and the state. And much more paperwork.
- By Boyko Vassilev, Lucie Kavanova, Anita Komuves, Wojciech Kosc, Pavol Szalai, and Sinziana Demian
© Transitions Online 2018. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.