- 29 January 2015
- West Mulls Response to Escalation in Ukraine, Azerbaijan Extends Reporter's Detention
- Plus, warnings of a 'new authoritarianism' in the Balkans and mounting repression in Kazakhstan.
- By Piers Lawson, Ioana Caloianu, Anders Ryehauge, and Will Sandeman
- 28 January 2015
- U.S. Gives Military Hardware to Uzbekistan, New Outbreak of Violence in Pristina
Plus, the murder trial of a fugitive Kazakhstani tycoon is postponed, and Belarus rediscovers its own language.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Anders Ryehauge, and Will Sandeman
- 27 January 2015
- Putin and the Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Many who take Russia’s temperature for a living predict the current ardor for its president won't survive a prolonged crisis.
- By Aleksander Kolesnichenko
- 26 January 2015
- Mariupol Deaths Prompt Calls for New Sanctions, NATO to Beef Up Presence on Eastern Flank
Plus, tech companies cash out of Crimea, and a Jewish group condemns an honor given by Romania’s new president
- By Timothy Spence and Barbara Frye
- 23 January 2015
- Poroshenko Insists on ‘Unitary’ Ukraine, Top Schools in Tajikistan Under Threat
Plus, Poland’s president rejects his foreign minister’s Auschwitz remark and the Paris attacks cloud Romania and Bulgaria’s Schengen hopes.
- By Piers Lawson, Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, and Will Sandeman
- 22 January 2015
- New Cracks in EU Front on Russia, Think Tank Warns of IS Push in Central Asia
Plus, tough talk from Moscow on gas for Europe, and prosecutors want Seselj back in The Hague.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Anders Ryehauge, and Will Sandeman
© Transitions Online 2015. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.