- 23 October 2014
- Soldiers' Mothers Activist Free, for Now
Elderly and ailing, Ludmila Bogatenkova faces fraud charges after probing Russian soldiers’ deaths in Ukraine.
- By Halya Coynash
- 21 October 2014
- Sikorski Backs Away From ‘Ukraine Partition’ Interview, Polish Surgeons Perform Miracle Operation
Plus, Bulgaria won’t extradite a Putin foe to Russia, and Budapest fumes over U.S. visa bans.
- By Piers Lawson, Klein Aleardi, Barbara Frye, and Anders Ryehauge
- 17 October 2014
- For the Russian Elite, Loyalty Is All
Some have mothballed their private jets, others go in fear for their jobs. Life has changed for Russia’s elite, and not just their holiday destinations. From openDemocracy.
- By Yelizaveta Surnacheva
- 10 October 2014
- Whose Freedom?
- For Belarus’ pro-democracy opposition, gay rights remains a toxic issue.
- By Volha Charnysh
- 9 October 2014
- Uzbekistan’s Silver Screen Promotes ‘Traditional Values’
Cautionary tales of wayward young people warn against Western influence. From EurasiaNet.org.
- By Murat Sadykov
- 7 October 2014
- Jaded No More
A new list of 100 innovative ideas and people in the ‘New Europe’ provides hope for an alternative future.
- By Martin Ehl
- 6 October 2014
- Catholics First?
A right-wing fringe blogger ignites debate in Poland over the role of personal religious faith in public education.
- By Wojciech Kosc
- 3 October 2014
- Georgia’s Stalled ‘Mental Revolution’
The country’s criminal justice reforms have relied too much on coercion and not enough on trust and legitimacy. From openDemocracy.
- By Gavin Slade and Alexander Kupatadze
- 1 October 2014
- Czech Roma Under the Swastika
Only a tenth of Roma survived extermination during the Nazi protectorate. Some even thanks to ‘white people.’ From Respekt.
- By Silvie Lauder
- 30 September 2014
- Nine Ex-Ministers Charged in Romanian Graft Probe, Jailed Azerbaijani Activist Honored
Plus, Balkan states target absurdly high roaming charges, and Russia moves forward on a giant Crimea bridge project.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Klein Aleardi, Ioana Caloianu, and Anders Ryehauge
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.