- 23 May 2013
- Looking Past Bazaars and Bandits on Kyrgyzstan’s TV
A serial breaks new ground in Kyrgyzstan with its topical story lines, use of local talent, and political agenda
- By Dina Tokbaeva
- 22 May 2013
- Belarus’ Accidental Crusader
Irina Khalip learned quickly that just being a journalist was not an option in her country.
- By Christina Karchevskaya
- 21 May 2013
- Russia Launches Public TV, Romanian Soccer Boss Jailed
Plus, more bloodshed in the North Caucasus and a sweet solution to Croatia's land mine problem.
- By Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, Ky Krauthamer, and Vladimir Matan
- 20 May 2013
- Russia Shocked by Orphanage Violence, Gay Rights Ralliers Beaten Back in Georgia, Russia
Plus, new polls spell trouble for Poland’s center-right government, and a long-delayed dam hangs over a Georgian village.
- By Barbara Frye, Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, and Vladimir Matan
- 16 May 2013
- Young, Loud, and Turkmen
- Ashgabat’s few rock ’n’ rollers keep a low profile and face a limited future.
- By Dengiz Uralov
- 9 May 2013
- Croatia, Slovenia Star in New Corruption Report, Kerry to Russian opposition: We Hear You
Plus, the Holocaust in Bulgaria was a two-way street and energy firms give up on fracking in Poland.
- By Erik N. Nelson, Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, and Vladimir Matan
- 7 May 2013
- A Star Pupil Flunks Out
Slovenia’s status as a post-communist standout was built on a shaky foundation.
- By Martin Ehl
- 6 May 2013
- A Good Deal, but Not at Any Price
Whatever happens in northern Kosovo, a stable Serbia, firmly anchored to the EU, is Brussels’ strategic objective. From Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso.
- By Andrea Lorenzo Capussela
- 29 April 2013
- Bishkek’s Jewish Community Torn Between Emigration and Home
- After years of economic stagnation, revolutions, and ethnic unrest, many Jews are undecided about their future in Kyrgyzstan. From EurasiaNet.org.
- By Matthew Kupfer
- 26 April 2013
- Is Lithuania Tolerant Enough to Lead Europe?
- A current of hostility to gays and other minorities undercuts the country’s efforts to burnish its image as it takes the EU helm.
- By Linas Jegelevicius
© Transitions Online 2013. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.