- 29 July 2014
- Yatsenyuk Calls for ‘War Tax,’ Russia Puts Bite on McDonald’s
Plus, Central Asian neighbors seek to cool Ferghana Valley dispute and an Armenia court delivers a potentially devastating press freedom ruling.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 18 July 2014
- Blame, Investigations Begin in Airliner Crash, Slovenia Loses 20-Year Bank Dispute
Plus, Hungary tries to get its fiscal house in order and Montenegro arrests journalist's alleged attackers.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 15 July 2014
- Newcomer Wins Slovenian Elections, Abducted Ukrainian Journalist Found Dead
Plus, Bulgaria turns over supervision of banks to the EU and Russia announces big plans for a Siberian railway.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Mane Grigoryan
- 7 July 2014
- Ukrainian Cities Face Government Siege, Tourists Shun Crimean Beaches
Plus, more violence in Macedonia as Albanians clash with police, and Russia puts new restrictions on foreign Internet companies.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Mane Grigoryan, and Madeleine Stern
- 30 June 2014
- Russia Mounts Massive Military Exercises, Montenegrin Court SuspendsTabloid for Tarring Activist
Plus, scandals prompt Serbia to mull vetting officials’ academic claims and the Eurasian Union remains open to Ukrainian imports – for now.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, Mane Grigoryan, and Madeleine Stern
- 27 June 2014
- Baku's Unchecked Abuses
Recently banned from traveling abroad, leading Azerbaijani rights activist Leyla Yunus says the West is turning a blind eye to the Aliev regime’s excesses.
- By Shahla Sultanova
- 20 June 2014
- A Researcher Vanishes in Tajikistan, Ukraine’s Poroshenko Gets a Boost
Plus, Macedonia gets a new-old government, and Czech scientists say they have a Lyme disease vaccine.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Barbara Frye, and Madeleine Stern
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.