- 17 September 2014
- Not a Drop to Drink
A massive project to bring potable water to southern Kazakhstan is drained by corruption and incompetence.
- By Katerina Popkova
- 10 September 2014
- Paving Over the Silk Road
Local protests in Kazakhstan are no match for a massive highway project linking China to Western Europe. From openDemocracy.
- By Paolo Sorbello
- 18 August 2014
- Muslim Leader Assassinated in North Ossetia, Sanctions Draw Kaliningrad Shoppers to Poland
- Plus, far-right Hungarians crash WWII memorial protests and a new think tank aims to bolster Czech liberalism.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Anders Ryehauge
- 8 August 2014
- More Floods in the Balkans, Tension in Transdniester
Plus, Azerbaijan hauls in more activists and Russia nixes anonymous public Wi-Fi.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Barbara Frye
- 24 July 2014
- Lost in the Flood
Shoddy, illegal settlements and more frequent weather catastrophes make the Balkans’ Roma communities increasingly perilous places.
- By Mariana Ionova
- 9 June 2014
- Ukraine’s President Vows to Sign EU Deal, Few Vote in Kosovo Election
Plus, Bulgaria stops work on South Stream but says it will ultimately press on, and long sentences are handed out in a Russian journalist’s killing.
- By Jeremy Druker, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, Piers Lawson, and Madeleine Stern
- 5 June 2014
- Russia Sends Big Check to Kyrgyzstan, Estonia Probes Corruption in Security Agency
Plus, rare white lions find a home in Hungary and NATO’s chief tells Russia to accept Georgia’s membership hopes.
- By Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Madeleine Stern
- 26 May 2014
- Jaruzelski’s Legacy Debated, Little Drama in Eastern EU Elections
Plus, now Balkan flood victims must worry about disease, and Lithuania’s iron-lady president sets a precedent.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Jeremey Druker, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Piers Lawson
- 22 May 2014
- Dissension in Ukraine’s Rebel Ranks, NATO Flexes Muscles in the Baltics
Plus, Minsk gets a Russian loan for its first nuke plant and three former Kosovo war-crimes suspects go on the lam.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Piers Lawson
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.