- 24 July 2014
- Lost in the Flood
Shoddy, illegal settlements and more frequent weather catastrophes make the Balkans’ Roma communities increasingly perilous places.
- By Mariana Ionova
- 9 June 2014
- Ukraine’s President Vows to Sign EU Deal, Few Vote in Kosovo Election
Plus, Bulgaria stops work on South Stream but says it will ultimately press on, and long sentences are handed out in a Russian journalist’s killing.
- By Jeremy Druker, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, Piers Lawson, and Madeleine Stern
- 5 June 2014
- Russia Sends Big Check to Kyrgyzstan, Estonia Probes Corruption in Security Agency
Plus, rare white lions find a home in Hungary and NATO’s chief tells Russia to accept Georgia’s membership hopes.
- By Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Madeleine Stern
- 26 May 2014
- Jaruzelski’s Legacy Debated, Little Drama in Eastern EU Elections
Plus, now Balkan flood victims must worry about disease, and Lithuania’s iron-lady president sets a precedent.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Jeremey Druker, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Piers Lawson
- 22 May 2014
- Dissension in Ukraine’s Rebel Ranks, NATO Flexes Muscles in the Baltics
Plus, Minsk gets a Russian loan for its first nuke plant and three former Kosovo war-crimes suspects go on the lam.
- By Ioana Caloianu, Barbara Frye, Rebecca Johnson, and Piers Lawson
- 20 May 2014
- Putin Orders Border Troop Withdrawal, Again; Mladic Defense Begins
Plus, bison come back to Romania’s mountains and NATO settles in in Uzbekistan.
- By S. Adam Cardais, Ioana Caloianu, and Rebecca Johnson
- 19 May 2014
- Balkans, Caucasus Counting Costs of Natural Disasters
Plus, protests as another Russian rocket fails over Kazakhstan and analysts assess the peacemaking qualities of Ukrainian presidential frontrunner Poroshenko.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, and Barbara Frye
© Transitions Online 2014. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.