Around the Bloc
- 4 October 2012
- UNICEF Might Be Next to Leave Russia, Czech and Romanian Ministerial Heads Roll
Plus, another Azeri blogger sits in jail, and the FBI busts an alleged conspiracy to send restricted electronics to the Russian military.
- By Jeremy Druker, Ioana Caloianu, and Nino Tsintsadze
- 3 October 2012
- Ivanishvili Clarifies Stance on Saakashvili Resignation, Kyrgyz Mine Protest Turns Into Riot
Plus, Ukraine moves to criminalize the promotion of homosexuality and a Russian film studio receives a gift of rarely seen silent movies.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, Andrew McIntyre, and Nino Tsintsadze
- 2 October 2012
- Georgian Opposition Scores Stunning Election Win
Plus, Facebook’s Zuckerberg hunts heads in Russia and Hungary moves to ban slot machines.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Ioana Caloianu, and Nino Tsintsadze
- 1 October 2012
- Russian Church and State Link Hands, More Reports of an Azerbaijan-Israel Confab Against Iran
Plus, Tymoshenko urges Ukrainians to ditch “mafia” rulers, and a mock assassination attempt on the Czech president goes without a hitch.
- By Barbara Frye, Ioana Caloianu, and Nino Tsintsadze
- 28 September 2012
- Duma Leader Snubs Council of Europe, Jailed Belarusian Activist Freed
- Plus, Innocence of Muslims protests in Eastern Europe, and Azeris jailed in Jewish school murder plot.
- By S. Adam Cardais and Joshua Boissevain
- 27 September 2012
- Romania Pitches Health Tourism, Czechs Ease Alcohol Ban
Plus, Ukraine slaps tariffs on a range of imports and an unpublished novel by a late, beloved Kyrgyz-Russian author surfaces.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, and Nino Tsintsadze
- 26 September 2012
- Kazan Police Sentenced in Torture Case, Kazakh Leader Rewards Loyalist
Plus, Russian officials denounce the Sakharov Prize nomination for jailed punkers, and Uzbekistan’s first daughter gets further embroiled in mobile phone scandals.
- By Ky Krauthamer, Joshua Boissevain, Andrew McIntyre, and Nino Tsintsadze
- 24 September 2012
- Observers Blast Belarus Elections, Rights Court Raps Kyiv over Roma Killings
- Plus, Medvedev and Putin kick sand at each other, and is another Iron Curtain drawing around Russia?
- By Barbara Frye, Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, and Nino Tsintsadze
- 21 September 2012
- Yoko Ono to Honor Pussy Riot, Bishkek Calls Russian Partnership Crucial
- Plus, West Nile kills five in the Balkans, and a rights group says Russia flouts international law with pre-Olympics evictions.
- By S. Adam Cardais and Nino Tsintsadze
- 20 September 2012
- Ukraine Set to Criminalize Libel, Serbs Might Get to Choose: Kosovo or the EU
Plus, Polish prisoners help preserve the country’s Jewish heritage and Belarusian students are forced to vote.
- By Jeremy Druker, Joshua Boissevain, Ioana Caloianu, and Nino Tsintsadze
© Transitions Online 2013. All rights reserved. ISSN 1214-1615
Published by Transitions o.s., Baranova 33, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic.