Support independent journalism in Central & Eastern Europe.
Donate to TOL!
Each side says the other caused only minor damage, no casualties in skirmishes this week.18 May 2017
Nagorno-Karabakh says it struck back at Azerbaijani forces after Baku launched guided missiles against one of its positions earlier this week.
Minor shooting incidents occur almost daily on the line of contact between the two sides, but Azerbaijan’s use of guided missiles against an Armenian air defense system this week was one of the most serious incidents in some time.
An Azerbaijani Defense Ministry spokesman said Tuesday that its forces “destroyed on Monday an Armenian Osa air defense system and its crew in the Fisuli-Khojavend sector of Karabakh's frontline in order to avert the threat it posed to Azerbaijan's aircraft," AFP reported, as cited by Al Jazeera.
Nagorno-Karabakh authorities confirmed that an Azerbaijani attack had damaged some military equipment but said there were no casualties.
After yesterday’s retaliation by Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan said it suffered no casualties or loss of military hardware after what it described as a mortar attack on some of its positions and populated areas near the front line, RFE reports.
Azerbaijani forces suffered several deaths in fighting with Karabakh troops in February, Al Jazeera says.
The Moldovan Diaries is a multimedia, interactive examination of the country's ethnic, religious, social and political identities by Paolo Paterlini and Cesare De Giglio.
This innovative approach to story telling gives voice to ordinary people and takes the reader on the virtual trip across Moldovan rural and urban landscapes.
It is a unique and intimate map of the nation.